Thursday, June 11, 2009

Reflections on Graduation


My youngest daughter graduated from highschool this past weekend. She will head off to college in August. She was born to my husband and me when I was 35. Her sisters are considerably older than she is. I've always thought of myself as being emotional. I cry at the movies, I cry when someone shares something sad with me. I cried at the wedding of my oldest daughter. I cried when she gave birth to her daughters and I cried when she lost her son 18 weeks into her pregnancy. I cried when my middle daughter moved across the country. I cried 4 years later when she moved back. I cried at the graduations of my two older daughters. But I did not cry when my youngest graduated. I didn't really even come close. I wonder why. I think I might actually be ready to move on to the next phase of my life. Can it be possible that I am ready to have an empty nest? I love my family and anyone will tell you that I am happiest when I am surrounded by them. I love cooking big meals and having to squeeze more chairs around the table. I love the sound of conversations, silly and serious, of sweet little girls saying grace, of sisters teasing each other and their mother mercilessly. I love it when my home is filled to the brim with my family and their friends, but I am also starting to like the idea of some solitude. I think I will enjoy time to read, to study, to pray and time to enjoy planning the next family get-together. I wonder what it will feel like to not have to actively mother my youngest any more. She has grown into a lovely young woman just like her sisters. As she goes off to college she won't need me the same way she did before. I think that's alright. I think I'm ready. Come August I'll know for sure.

2 comments:

Katie said...

I love it. I think you should post something regularly. I could also show you how to change your background to something cuter and that fits your personality better. :)

LesAnn said...

Hooray! Sam is a blogger! Now I have someone else's blog to read so that I can avoid updating my own!!