Monday, September 16, 2013

Pumpkin Muffins

       When I think of fall I think of pumpkins. Pumpkin muffins to be exact. Natalie loves all things pumpkin and she loves these muffins! These muffins are especially pumpkiny and spicy. It seems to be that either you really like them or you really don't. When Grace was in college a few of her A Capella friends spent the weekend with us. Whenever we have overnight company I usually do a little baking. I baked these muffins for her friends. Her friend Jake happened to be one of the ones who didn't especially like them. He didn't know it until he tasted them. He was trying to be tactful about it and was holding his muffin with only one bite taken in his hand on his lap. So it looked like he had eaten it. That is until Daisy grabbed it out of his hand and startled Jake. Did I mention you either really like them or you don't? Well, Daisy really liked them. When I apologized to Jake for Daisy's behavior and offered him another muffin he politely refused. Lesson learned - you can't please everyone but you can always please a Labrador.


Pumpkin Muffins

1 can of pumpkin
1 box of golden raisins (it makes a difference- the golden or white raisins look pretty in this recipe)
1 cup water
4 eggs
2 1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp salt
2/3 cup canola oil
3 1/2 cup flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda

Soak raisins in the water. Do not drain.

Combine eggs, pumpkin, sugar, spices, salt, and oil. Beat well. Stir in raisins and water.

Combine dry ingredients and then mix together with the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.

Spoon batter into greased muffin tins. (Actually I use cut little paper liners. it makes clean up so much easier. I use an ice cream scoop to fill them.)

Bake at 400 for 25 minutes. Yield about 3 dozen muffins, give or take.


And this dear daughters is what your pumpkin muffins will look like if you are absent minded like your mom and leave out the baking powder and baking soda. I guess that's what happens when I try to blog and bake on a school night. They are still pretty tasty even if they aren't light and fluffy. 

 

Pumpkin Muffins: Take 2
This is what they are supposed to look like.

1 comment:

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

I love all things pumpkin!

These look really good. I chuckled over the story of the friend not liking them but the dog loving them!

Thank you for commenting on my post today. I am so glad you've been reading and encouraged at Creekside Cottage.

Hope to see you there again!
Deanna