Monday, September 2, 2013

Potato Salad

As Natalie will tell you I make pretty good potato salad. I learned to make it from watching my mama. I have adapted the recipe through the years to come up with my own version. Problem is it is never exactly the same from batch to batch because I have a tendency to throw things together without measuring. Some time after Natalie and Scott were engaged she was telling him how awesome my potato salad is. He was reluctant to try it because he wasn't real familiar with potato salad. She persisted and he gave in. Trouble is, it was one of those days when I wasn't paying particular attention to what I was doing and I squeezed too much mustard in. It was not my finest offering and Scott was not impressed. We did not win him over to potato salad that day. I'll share my recipe any way. Just remember to go easy on the mustard!!

Potato Salad

1 5lb bag of potatoes, boiled
1 dozen eggs, boiled
several dill pickles, chopped
mayonnaise, 2 cups give or take
French's mustard, a little dab'll do ya
Paprika

Boil the potatoes making sure not to over boil them. I've gotten distracted so many times and over boiled my potatoes. Mushy potatoes aren't as good. Boil a dozen eggs, cool them, and then peel and chop them. Chop the pickles. Mix these three ingredients together well. Add some salt and pepper and mix again. Then add the mayo and mustard and mix well. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Put into a pretty glass bowl and sprinkle paprika on the top. I'm not sure that the paprika adds any real flavor but if I leave it off I hear about it. 

I am famous for making too much food whenever we have family gathering. My family always pokes fun at me for it. Funny thing is recently when I made this recipe I actually made just about the right amount. You know what? They complained there wasn't enough leftover. And they were serious. I just can't win. :)

No comments: